Tuesday, August 17, 2010

this I believe... or do I?

I think that the things I think I believe are not necessarily what I do believe. Or, what my mind tells me is not the same as what my souls says.
And my soul never thought that Granny would die. She's been around too long to actually perish. She's the one who lives through the deaths of those around her: her parents, Grandad, friends...
She goes to church. She makes egg salad sandwiches. She gets up in the morning even though she's always been more of a night person. She comes to visit her children and grandchildren. She creates a stable home. She puts up with gruffness and grumbling from her husband with a murmered, "Jim!" and a gentle shaking of her head as she continues to go about the business of getting things done. And she gets these things done in order to get back to the business of conversation, which is what she loves most of all.
Oh well. I guess people do die, even in the present tense.

Perhaps she's living in the present somewhere else. What do you say, Mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment