Tuesday, July 5, 2011

conversations with my children

On boundaries:
My son was quite clear with me the other day as I was rocking him in the chair. "DON'T Flinnnnnnn!" he ennunciated. "DON'T Pannuuuuuuu!"
???
Now we have a song about it.
Don't Flinnnnn, Don't Pannuuuuuu...
Don't Flinnnnn, Don't Pannuuuuuu...
If you flin, but don't panuuuu
thats not an improooooooooov-
Ment.
So Don't Flinnnnnn,
and never Pannuuuuu...

And growing up:
My daughter was thinking aloud in the car today.
"If I was born already knowing everything that adults know and being able to do what adults do," she said, "then... I would buy my own house and get dressed by myself."
"Wow." I said. "Then I would have to find something else to do with my time, since it's my job to teach you how to do things."
"Yeah. Then you would have to find another baby."
"No" I responded. "I'd just stand back and watch you and applaud."



This conversation made me realize that I was going to have to figure out my own path again at some point in the next 13 years.

The interaction with my son, on the other hand, made me realize... I shouldn't ever Pannnuuuuu. Or Flinnnnn.

1 comment:

  1. The interesting thing is.... she does know everything now and it won't be until she' s trying out the things that you taught her that she will remember the stuff that she already knows. Then she'll say to you: This is the way I do it Mum!
    As for Pannnuuuuuuing and Flinnnnnning..... well apparently he has been talking to his lawyer father about some serious STUFF.

    ReplyDelete