Tuesday, May 18, 2010

it's annoying

when will the me generation begin to see the world beyond their noses?

Now, those of you who know me well know that I abhor being controversial. That being said, I must point out that the solipsistic generation has done nothing beyond allowing me to use a word I learned in the study of Milton repeatedly when complaining about them.
To be fair, I may be guilty of painting an entire generation with the same broad stroke. Not everyone who came of age in the 1970s and 1980s is a narcissist... There are those who know that people they don't know personally are not necessarily "extras" in the film of their life.
Not every park is a "location" shot for our contemplative scene.
Not every fat friend is comic relief.
Not every detail means something cosmic. Sometimes a pencil is just a pencil. Even when it breaks!

OK. For perspective I will admit that I ate donuts and chips last night. While watching "It's Complicated." And while I admire Meryl Steep immensely, I have to say that it's actually not that complicated. So for all the me generation who may be at risk for falling into a mature romantic comedy, let me outline a few things... prophylacticly:

1) Don't sleep with your self obsessed ex-husband. Any wife worth her salt knows already that her cheating ex is still not listening to her within five minutes, even if she's horny.

2) Please stop using the line, "... but I did this for me." while those around you are crying, as if it's some break through. You know very well how to look after your own needs; it's not a new skill.

3) Be clear. Be honest. Let the crap fall where it may.

I wonder if a movie like that would be funny. Maybe it would if one of the main characters followed those rules while the rest tried to meander around the truth.

OK.
I'm done. I have to go take care of myself because I realized while writing in my journal that when I don't get my own needs met, I tend to be intolerant and cranky.

No comments:

Post a Comment