Wednesday, May 19, 2010

shabby chic two

I'm doing it. I'm shabby chic - ing my life!
My husband doesn't know it yet.

I have begun to drape white cloths over our furniture, but so far it's nothing out of the ordinary. I mean, what's wrong with choosing a white table cloth?
And putting a white striped summer quilt over our tan couch? And the white soft woolen throw blanket has been draped over the back of the couch has been there before.
The unfortunate fact remains: my spouse is not that into shabby chic. To him it looks, well, shabby. And he's not so into the European / French thing either.
I have to be careful.
I have to choose when and how to drape.
I have to abstain from distressing our walls.
(I'll leave that to the children.)

It's about self actualization. The tip of what's-his-name's pyramid of needs.
Safety? check.
Food and shelter? check and check.
Human companionship? ... got it covered.
Now: Shabby Chic!

It's amazing what one can remember from high school psychology. From that one test: also, "child is the father of man." Who said it and what did they mean? 10 points.

I can't remember his name either, but I do know what he meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment