Tuesday, May 24, 2011

a question of faith

Last week I saw a sign in front of a church that really intrigued me. It said, "Feed your Faith and your Friends will Starve".
What? I thought.
What do they mean? I wondered. I checked the denomination on the front of the building. No clue there. Just your typical Protestant place of subdued worship.
I thought, who do they have in charge of signs? Is it some newcomer upstart determined to overthrow the establishment and upset common social mores? But are they even supervising this person? Do the signs have to follow some biblical protocol? Does anyone actually look at them? Is this a test? Are we supposed to respond by going to the service in a "Hey now! This is new!" reaction?

Then I thought that maybe it's our friends who are in question. But what did Jesus say about friends? I try to remember...
Well, the story about the loaves and the fishes -- where he feeds the multitudes with only a few fish and a loaf -- would seem to go against the idea that friends were to be starved. Even if they're whores or work for the IRS.
At that point I had arrived home and forgot about it.

Until today.
When I drove by the same church and saw the sign.
"Feed your Faith and your FEARS will Starve".

Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment