Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Reflections upon Dora the Explorer as I drifted off to sleep:

It occured to me this afternoon as I was lying next to my 5 year old daughter at nap time, that reading Dora books is like looking into a mirror when there is also a mirror behind you. It's you, cascading backwards into smaller and smaller reflections of yourself, looking more and more perplexed...
My daughter was saying, "This is MY book, and that is HER book..." as she was reading her Dora adventure. And she was saying it in the same manner as a first year university student paraphrases Plato's analogy of the cave in order to "get" it. What is truth? she seemed to be saying to herself. Is it my book? Is it her book? And in Dora's book - here's where it get's interesting - the characters come out into Dora's world in order to request her "help." So Dora jumps into her book and into the fairytale land that she has been reading about... Now. Dora, from inside the book that is inside the book that my daughter is holding, calls upon her readers for "Help." My daughter

is asked to clap like the clapping spider or dance like the snake or flap her arms to help the snow fairy fly...

The issue is this: these books have within their reality the assumption that the characters in the books can see the reader, and that the reader in turn can "jump" into the book and "help." And that reality permeates our real reality and causes innocent 5 year olds to flap their arms and jump up and down and yell things like "ABRE!! ABRE!!!!"

No, I don't know what it means. But it sure brings up a lot of questions...
What are they training our children for?
Wake up people!!

It's a CALIPHATE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment